Led Zeppelin


Every July I only listen to Led Zeppelin. For the whole month. Not sure when I started doing this but it just makes so much sense to me that I never questioned it. Led Zeppelin II is without a doubt my favourite album out of their whole library of work. "Ramble On" has always resonated strongly with me and is, in my opinion, the best track off that album. The Tolkien references are quaint, but it's the search for a true love that takes mythical proportions is simply too awesome. "Moby Dick" features a lengthy drum solo by John Bonham, which feels like a psychotropic shamanic trance. "Heartbreaker" features Jimmy Page's fingers dancing all over the fretboard of his guitar like a maniac with a, well, broken heart. This was the first album that I can remembering listening to. It blew me away with a dose of Rock n Roll. IT was the blues played harder and louder than it had ever been played before.

Rock n Roll was the first form of music that I ever learned to love, and Led Zeppelin is why. Many years later I would discover that I had the same birthday as Jimmy Page, January 9th. A coincidence, sure, but a pretty cool one if you ask me (and by reading my blog you certainly did). Most of their songs have to do with heart-ache or seduction. Truly timeless messages.

Two Led Zeppelin songs stand high above the rest in my opinion. The first being "Traveling Riverside Blues" off their BBC sessions album, and is a cover of legendary blues artist Robert Johnson. However my hands down number one choice for greatest Led Zeppelin song, and contender for "best song I've ever heard award", has to be "Hey Hey What Can I Do", and was only featured as a B-side to the "Immigrant Song" single. A song about being helpless to love a woman who doesn't love you back. The bluesy riffs, forlorn lyrics, and hopeless romantic attitude make this a song I can't help but love.

No comments: