Tardy

I wasn't usually late but that day I was. Finding my way lazily to the tardy line, my ex-girlfriend was the last person in line before I got there. She turned her head, giant hoops swinging in the wind, and asked me if I knew that we were under attack. Obviously I had no idea what we were talking about. Then I realized that the line was getting longer, with no signs of moving at all. Standing on my tiptoes, I looked over the line and into the offices. "Grown-Ups" huddled around a tv screen. We were eventually waved off when the second period bell rang. The rest off the day went by in a haze of stern looks and quiet tears by our silent teachers. The new principle made a speech about the tragedy, but we were kids, what did we know anyway? It didn't really sink in until later that night, when on some news channel, a reporter who was nearby, looked at a massive rolling dust cloud, which stopped him and his cameraman in their tracks, dumbfounded. Chaos. It barreled over everything and knocked them both over. I just beat Red Dead Redemption, and there is a weathered grave which says, "we will never forget".

3 comments:

l3montree said...

You weren't usually late? Pfft. Doubtful.

SpookyDonkey said...

at the time i wasnt usually late, but it was certainly the start of a trend, me'thinks.

l3montree said...

So the 9/11 attacks are responsible for your tardiness?