#1 Seven Samurai (1954)


#1 Seven Samurai (1954)
     Directed by the legendary master of cinema, Akira Kurosawa, Seven Samurai is hands down, my favourite movie of all time. Ever. Forever. The end. Shut up. This movie is the closest human beings will ever achieve in terms of a time machine.





 You truly don't doubt for a second that these are samurai, defending peasants, against bandits. It's as simple as that, and just as true.




Apart of me has always been fascinated with this time period and I reckon that the context drives the movie into a deeper place in my heart. I won't get into it, but needless to say, the whole chronological context bears heavy significance in the way these characters exist.



Toshiro Mifune plays the wild and unpredictable Kikuchiyo, who wields a giant sword and a stolen family tree which says he's thirteen, hence his name. Takashi Shimura plays Kanbe Shimada, the cunning leader tasked to lead the other samurai in their defense of the village being raided constantly by roaming bandits that always pillage their harvests.



The music? Exquisite. The cinematography? Breathtaking. The movie? Life changing. The list of my Top 30 Favourite Movies of All Time? Complete. And at number one (by leagues) is Seven Samurai. And there you have it. Thanks for sticking with me. Sorry it took so long to finish the list, but at least we have some closure. A bit further down the line I plan on doing a post about Honorable Mentions about films that almost made the cut, and other films that I simply forgot (Moose and Sergio mentioned many films that would have been on this list, had I only remembered them sooner)! So from the depths of my non-theist soul, I thank you for taking the time to see my cinematic tastes. Check in next time for, well, whatever the hell I god damn feel like talking about.

2 comments:

Serg said...

Congratulations biLL, it was a neat list. Seven samurai is def a good one, worthy of being nanbawan!

SpookyDonkey said...

thanks for checking out the site guy! i'll try and keep new posts coming in frequently for ye.
d (^_^ ) b