#2 Rushmore (1998)

#2 Rushmore (1998)

In my opinion, this is the greatest love story ever told. Two best friends. One amazing woman. The rest is history. Rushmore is my favourite Wes Anderson movie, and it's a tough call to choose just one. Life Aquatic may be my favourite Bill Murray performance, but Rushmore just gets my in a much deeper place. Life Aquatic is about exploring the deep sea, and this movie gets me in a deeper place. See what I did there?


The dynamic between Jason Schwartzman, Murray, and Olivia Williams is profoundly honest and sincere. Something about Max Fischer is easy to idolize, he's my hero. His sidekick Dirk is an awesome character as well. Herman Blume is too tired to care, making him the coolest guy on the planet. And Rosemary Cross, the most elegant creature alive, makes for a perfect leading lady. Seeing everything fall apart is a masterful orchestra of misguided antics that gets better each time I see it happen. Who hasn't done stupid things for love? Bravo, Max.
This movie is just beautiful, and every line is beyond memorable. The music is also a force to be reckoned with, like in all Wes Anderson films. This is my favorite modern movie of all time, and that means that the number one choice for my Favourite Movie of all time (of my Top 30) is going to be a blast from the past.
My personal favourite song from the movie, Nothing In This World, by The Kinks.

No comments: