Day 1 Dlc & Demon Stone

The highly anticipated Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is allegedly coming with online passes included with each new copy of the game. Author R.A. Salvatore was involved with the game, and I personally loved Demon Stone on the PS2 and Xbox, so this is an exciting new IP I'm looking forward to. However, the game offers a story arc that spans seven unique quests and is only offered for free when a new copy of the game is purchased. The developer said that it wasn't locked access on the disk, it is DLC intended as a bonus gift to those who are willing to purchase the game new in an effort support the games developers and publishers. Rewarding people who support the industry in some way, that's something I understand. BUT how about rewarding the mother fucking player when they pay for the product in any form! If you own the disc, you should own the game. All of it. The catch in this instance, for me, is the fact that the Day 1 DLC was kind of a surprise. They didn't openly state that they were using it as a method to fight used game sales, or piracy, but that's exactly what they're trying to do. But when they announced what comes with the collector's edition, that might have been a good time to sneak it in the press release. Still it is a more welcome tactic when compared to other video game releases lately.

I wish CAPCOM would reimburse me for the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 coaster I paid full price for the very midnight that it came out, when they rereleased a newer edition of the game a few months later, rendering mine completly obsolete. And even onthe new disc there are still locked characters that you have to pay extra money for. Were they smart they would have offered to sell something like the "ultimate expansion pack" for at a reduced price to players who actually paid money to support the company the first time. 

Shouldn't we as gamers be expecting frequent updates to help balance the gameplay from exploit abusers and metagamers, instead of yearly copies of the game at full retail price (which in MvC3's case only came with a pathetic excuse for multiplayer and matchmaking)? Leauge of Legends does this near weekly! Free new characters, balance tweaks, and game modes. I think those are the methods that sets LoL apart as being the future of video gaming. If Capcom would have released character specific alternate costumes for a dollar a piece, instead of bundling them in groups of four, they would have had my business. Instead, they bundle alternate costumes in packs of four, when I only really want just one. Why not let me choose which four alternate costumes in this pack, out of the full reportoire of new content, I want to pay for? If they're too greedy to let me get just one at a time, then they don't deserve to be supported for handicapping me, as the player, even further in the decisions I can make with the game I paid for.

...
Hey what ever happened with Demon Stone? That game was great. Maybe thats just my weakness for elves and wizards and video games talking though. Wasn't Patrick Stewart in it?
...


No comments: