Studio Liverpool closes its doors

1993 - 2012
Like so many other ill fated games companies, Studio Liverpool is no longer with us, as a few days ago it was announced that SONY would be closing its UK branch known as Studio Liverpool. Known for its seminal series Wipeout and also Colony Wars, this studio will be closing its doors for good. SONY has announced its plans to refocus energy and resources in other studios that are more commercially successful.

SCE Worldwide performs reviews of its studios on a regular basis, and claimed that the decision to close Studio Liverpool came after its most recent evaluation. Sandy Lobban, a developer at Studio Liverpool, said via Twitter:

“End of an era today for Studio Liverpool. Honoured to have been a part of it.”

Psygonsis seems like so long ago

Studio Liverpool started off as Psygonsis in 1984, and I personally happen to have a ton of their games by pure coincidence growing up. I spent days on Destruction Derby and Blast Radius as a kid, and the polygonal magic of the Playstation wasn’t lost on me. Then in 1995 I got my hands on Wipeout and I was never the same. I’d never felt such speed mixed with incredible music, and the science fiction aesthetic never failed to blow my mind. I still play Wipeout on my PS3 all the time and I’ve never played a more exciting racing game in my life.

I still have a clear memory of hiding my PSP behind my textbook in a college classroom, to play Wipeout Pure. I was on the final race of a tournament and somehow went from first place to last. The resulting tragedy of my loss made me shout, “Damn it!” And it didn’t occur to me that I was in class until I saw everyone turning around to stare at me. I personally mourn the loss of Studio Liverpool, and sincerely hope they are able to some how keep the Wipeout franchise alive.

End of an era indeed.

Source: Eurogamer

No comments: