Post E3 Hypocrisy - SONY - Admitting I like stuff

So now that I got my initial explosive rage at E3 out of my system, it's time to take a moment to address hypocrisy. For as much as I fume about the event I still have to admit that I do wait for websites to have their master list of new trailers and videos at the end of it all. Once bereft of their press conference bollocks, I can sift through the media onslaught of cinematics and try and find things I might be excited for. 

In all fairness my AAA exhaustion has more than settled in and because I know I'm not going to purchase a PS4 or XBONE. Having not really concerned myself with too much of the news regarding new releases for them both. Although I am a huge fan of the Uncharted series, I don't expect for the fourth installment to be anything drastically different outside of the impressive rise in graphical representation. The writing will still be sharp, the characters will still be well realized, the adventure will still be grand and exciting, and it will still be a quality entry in the franchise. No one expects NaughtyDog to produce a rushed out product that will disappoint. My issue with it is that, at the end of the day, it's going to be what it has always been, a third person cover based shooter. A damn fine one, that I will truly enjoy and like the other three I will absolutely adore. But it isn't so radically different that I NEED to spend an exorbitant amount of money to get my hands on right away. I can wait for the whole experience to reduce in price, and more importantly, and wait for the hype train to come to a complete stop.

If they announced Uncharted 4 to be an open world treasure hunting island adventure bigger than Skyrim and with live multiplayer co-op both on and offline, I would be far more enticed to consider it. But a single teaser cinematic trailer tells me nothing outside of upgraded graphics which is going to be wildly different to make it an unmissable gameplay experience. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking Uncharted 4, I'm just saying I'm not rabid with anticipation to the point where I'm going to shovel my money at Sony... not yet anyway. It's going to take a whole lot more than that to sway my wanting to accrue the financial burden of what is essentially just a toy. 

To cut a long story a bit longer, if I happened to have a large amount of disposable income I would absolutely be getting a PS4, but not right out of the gate. I made that mistake before with the PS3, but that's a tale for another time. The exclusives that I care most about are all in the Playstation stable, but those games haven't been released yet, so why rush?

The previously mentioned Uncharted series ranks chief among my reasons for choosing a Playstation4, as well as God of war, and most of all Ratchet &  Clank. I consider that the trio of Playstation titles that make me know that I am a fan, because I certainly can't think of an exclusive trilogy for the competition that makes me feel the same way. However if any news comes out for those games it will be a cinematic teaser first, not a gameplay demo. And what's worse, there is still time for these to become Xbox One exclusives! Strange as it may sound, in the gaming industry at least, stranger things have most definitely happened.



No comments: